Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Child suicide bomber kills 51 at wedding day in Turkey

By Cinar Kiper

Published 22/08/2016

An Islamic State suicide bomber as young as 12 has attacked an outdoor Kurdish wedding party in Turkey, killing at least 51 people and wounding dozens of others, the country’s president has said
An Islamic State suicide bomber as young as 12 has attacked an outdoor Kurdish wedding party in Turkey, killing at least 51 people and wounding dozens of others, the country’s president has said

An Islamic State suicide bomber as young as 12 has attacked an outdoor Kurdish wedding party in Turkey, killing at least 51 people and wounding dozens of others, the country’s president has said.

The bombing late on Saturday in Gaziantep, near Turkey’s border with Syria, was the deadliest attack in Turkey this year.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, speaking live on national television in front of Istanbul’s city hall, said the attacker was aged between 12 and 14. He said 69 people were wounded, 17 of them in a critical condition.

The bride and groom were not in a life-threatening condition and were undergoing treatment, it was reported, but the groom’s sister and uncle were among the dead.

“It was clear that Daesh had such an organisation in Gaziantep or was attempting to make room for itself in recent times,” Mr Erdogan said, using an alternative name for Islamic State (IS).

A bus driver who shuttled some of the guests from Siirt to Gaziantep said that he could not believe the party was targeted.

“This was a wedding party. Just a regular wedding party,” Hamdullah Ceyhan said. “This attack was deplorable. How did they do such a thing?”

Turkey has been rocked by a wave of attacks in the past year that have either been claimed by Kurdish militants linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party — known by its acronym PKK — or were blamed on IS.

In June, suspected IS militants attacked Istanbul’s main airport with guns and bombs, killing 44 people. A dual suicide bombing blamed on IS at a peace rally in Turkey’s capital, Ankara, in October killed 103.

The attack comes as the country is still reeling from last month’s failed coup attempt, which the government has blamed on US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen and his followers. Gulen denies any involvement.

Earlier, Mr Erdogan said there was “absolutely no difference” between IS, Kurdish rebels and Gulen’s movement, calling them terrorist groups. “These bloodthirsty organisations and the powers behind them have neither the will nor power to silence the calls to prayer, lower the flag, divide our motherland and break up our nation,” he added.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph