Belfast Telegraph

Tuesday 21 October 2014

China did not censor my set list, says Dylan

The voice of a generation is easily silenced, but not according to Bob Dylan, who has issued a rare public statement denying speculation that he relented to government censors by agreeing not to perform 1960s-era protest songs during his recent tour of China.



In a message released on his website he wanted to “clarify a few things about this so-called China controversy”, which erupted last month after he staged his first concerts in the People's Republic.

Dylan (69) strongly denied claims that state censors were allowed to remove what they saw as subversive songs from his set lists. Although he had been required to inform them of the songs he intended to perform, Dylan said the government did not ask for any alterations and none were made.

“As far as censorship goes, the Chinese government had asked for the names of the songs that I would be playing,” Dylan said.

“There's no logical answer to that, so we sent them the set lists from the previous three months. If there were any songs, verses or lines censored, nobody ever told me about it and we played all the songs that we intended.”

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz