Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

China hospital bulldozed with patients still inside

Published 08/01/2016

Bulldozers moved in to demolish a China hospital
Bulldozers moved in to demolish a China hospital

Doctors, nurses and patients had to run for their lives after bulldozers moved in unexpectedly to demolish part of a hospital in central China in a local government row.

Six bodies being processed at an adjoining morgue at the hospital in Zhengzhou city, Henan province, were buried under rubble.

Hospital officials accused the local government of ordering demolition work after failing to get the hospital to agree to it for a road expansion project, said Xinhua News Agency.

But the Huiji District Government Information Office said they had asked the hospital in vain to demolish the CT room and morgue itself.

They denied claims that there were people inside the buildings when bulldozers started work and said there had been no casualties.

The No 4 Hospital of Zhengzhou University said the unexpected demolition work on Thursday buried six bodies stored in the morgue, caused nearly 20 million yuan (£2m) worth of damage to medical equipment and injured several hospital staff, according to Xinhua.

"Burying the remains of patients is enormously disrespectful to the dead," the hospital's deputy propaganda chief, Zhang Yuan, said. "I never imagined anything like this would ever happen."

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph