Cleared co-accused Raffaele Sollecito claims assault by police
Raffaele Sollecito, who along with his ex-girlfriend Amanda Knox was cleared on Monday of killing British student Meredith Kercher, has claimed that he was treated violently by Perugia police after being taken into custody in November 2007.
Describing his experience at the hands of interrogators, he said: “I thought that I didn't have anything to worry about because they would look after me as my father had told me they would.
“I certainly couldn't have imagined that, rather than protect me, the police would act with violence and coercion.”
The statement read to reporters by Mr Sollecito's father, Francesco, had been, according Corriere della Sera, deliberately toned down.
Ms Knox has also claimed that she was assaulted during questioning and that the verbal and physical intimidation caused her to wrongly claim that an innocent man, the bar owner Patrick Lumumba, committed the killing while she was in the house.
She has been ordered by the courts to pay €22,000 (£19,000) in compensation for wrongly accusing Mr Lumumba. She was also sentenced to three years for the defamation, which accounts for most of the time she spent in a Perugia jail.
Ms Knox and her parents, Curt Knox and Edda Mellas, also face slander charges for making the claims against police officers.