Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Concern over Afghanistan casualties

Published 30/04/2015

The Red Cross has voiced concern about a rise in civilian casualties in Afghanistan as the Taliban wage their spring offensive.

The Taliban launched the annual offensive last week with an attack in northern Kunduz province, signalling a violent fighting season to come.

Dominik Stillhart, the International Committee of the Red Cross's director of operations, said today the organisation helped 345 injured people reach health facilities in the first three months of this year, up 19% on the same period last year.

He noted a suicide attack in eastern Jalalabad on April 18, which killed 35 people and wounded 150, for which no group claimed responsibility.

He said donors are reducing funding despite rising humanitarian needs. The ICRC has received only 25% of its funding needs for this year.

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph