Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 25 October 2014

Concern over boy missing in Brazil

The Foreign Office confirmed a British national is missing in Brazil

The family of a British teenager who is missing after being swept out to sea while swimming off the Brazilian coast have described their agonising wait for news of his safety.

Elliot Deslandes, from Arnold in Nottingham, is thought to have been part of a group of youngsters struck by a powerful wave while holidaying on Ilha Grande, an island near Rio de Janeiro.

His family said he was due to return home from a trip to a Buddhist event with a friend and his friend's mother.

Elliot's mother, Beverley White, said she was frantically trying to find out what was happening with the search for her son.

She told the Nottingham Post: "All I know is they got into difficulty. There was a big wave and the lads got swept out but he didn't come up. All I know is my little boy is out there all on his own."

The 14-year-old's aunt, Sharon White, 30, from Arnold, said the Redhill School pupil was a very intelligent, grade-A student and the family was desperately waiting by the phone for information. She added: "We're all going through it. His mum is distraught."

Nottinghamshire Police have been in contact with the family since news of Elliot's disappearance on Tuesday night to act as family liaison and to relay information from the Foreign Office.

A spokeswoman for the Foreign Office said: "We can confirm a British National has been reported missing in the Ilha Grande, Brazil, on November 2, 2010.

"We are providing Consular assistance to the next of kin." Friends of the missing boy have set up a Facebook group titled Pray for Elliot Deslandes.

The incident happened on Tuesday morning on the popular tourist island. It is thought that Elliot and friends had been staying at the Pousada Naturalia guest house in the island's main village. No-one was available at the holiday home to comment.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz