Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Death toll from Fiji cyclone hits 18 as aid is sent to outer islands

Published 22/02/2016

This aerial photo shows debris scattered around damaged buildings at Muamua on Vanua Blava Island in Fiji (New Zealand Defence Force/PA)
This aerial photo shows debris scattered around damaged buildings at Muamua on Vanua Blava Island in Fiji (New Zealand Defence Force/PA)

The death toll from a ferocious cyclone which tore through Fiji over the weekend has risen to 18 as the authorities began to send aid to hard-hit outer islands.

They were still having trouble communicating with some islands, including places like Koro Island which suffered some of the worst damage.

And more than 6,000 residents across Fiji were staying in emergency shelters after their homes were broken or swamped.

Winds from Cyclone Winston, which tore through Fiji over the weekend, reached 177mph, making it the strongest storm in the Southern Hemisphere since record-keeping began.

Getting emergency supplies to Fiji's far-flung islands and remote communities was the government's top priority said Ewan Perrin, the permanent secretary for communications.

Fiji is home to 900,000 people, and has more than 100 inhabited islands.

"The logistics of getting supplies and equipment to remote communities is difficult," he said. "Some have lost their jetties and it's uncertain if airstrips are able to be landed on."

Mr Perrin said the authorities were sending a vessel to Koro Island filled with medical supplies, food and water. Crews on the boat would build temporary shelters for those people on the island whose homes had been destroyed.

He said the electricity network across Fiji remained patchy, and in some cases power had been deliberately cut to prevent further damage.

Mr Perrin said clean water was also a challenge, and people were being asked to boil their water, treat it with chemicals or drink bottled water, but Fijians were taking the disaster in stride.

"The people here are fairly resilient and they're accustomed to these things happening," he said.

"Most are going about their business or helping clean up. There's been a very well-co-ordinated disaster response and we're deploying quickly."

Mr Perrin said most of the people who died in the cyclone were hit by flying debris or were in buildings which collapsed. A handful of people were in hospital with severe injuries, he said.

Fijians were finally able to venture outside on Monday after the authorities lifted a curfew that had been imposed on Saturday evening.

A 30-day declaration of a state of natural disaster remains in effect, giving police extraordinary powers.

"The damage has been widespread, homes have been destroyed, many low-lying areas have flooded, and many people have been left stunned and confused about what to do," said Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama in a televised address to the nation.

He said the police and military had been brought in to help with rescue operations and the general clean-up, and that government agencies were working overtime to clear roads and restore power.

"This is a time of sorrow, but it will also be a time of action," Mr Bainimarama said. "We will stand united in the face of this disaster."

Tourism minister Faiyaz Siddiq Koya said all tourists in Fiji were safe and there was no significant damage to the majority of hotels on the main island. Fiji is a popular tourist destination, known for its beach resorts and scuba diving.

Cyclone Winston hit Fiji on Saturday and moved westward overnight along the northern coast of Viti Levu.

Fiji's capital, Suva, located in the southern part of the main island, was not directly in the cyclone's path and avoided the worst of its destructive power.

All schools will be closed for a week to allow time for the clean-up, and three universities will be closed until further notice.

The main international airport on Viti Levu has been reopened.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph