Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Donald Trump to host Saturday Night Live after 'settling NBC dust-up'

Published 14/10/2015

Donald Trump says he and NBC have settled their beauty pageant
Donald Trump says he and NBC have settled their beauty pageant "dust-up"

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump will host NBC's Saturday Night Live next month, calling it a "great honour".

Mr Trump told Fox News Channel that he and NBC had settled their beauty pageant "dust-up" and moved on.

In June, NBC said it would end its business relationship with Mr Trump because of comments he made during the announcement of his presidential campaign about Mexican immigrants.

The network dropped the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants, which had been a joint venture between it and Mr Trump.

He said on Tuesday that he had purchased NBC's half of the Miss Universe Organisation, which included the two pageants, and sold the company to WME-IMG.

"It worked out well for everybody, so I think NBC's happy and I'm certainly happy, and we're doing Saturday Night Live and that'll be exciting," he told Fox.

Asked how he thinks his appearance on SNL will go, Mr Trump was upbeat: "I think it's going to go fine. I've done it before. It's always a great honour."

He added that CBS's 60 Minutes earned strong ratings for a September episode that included interviews with him and Russian president Vladimir Putin.

"I think it's going to be good for them (NBC), it's going to be fine for me, and you know it's really very much of an honour when you can do a 60 Minutes or a Saturday Night Live. I think on your own little shelf it's very much of an honour."

NBC said its former Celebrity Apprentice host will be the headliner of the November 7 show. It is the second time he has hosted the comedy institution; he was on the show in April 2004. Mr Trump was also skewered in the season premiere's opening sketch.

He has been ratings gold for nearly every television outlet he has touched since his presidential candidacy took off this summer, the main reason behind record viewership for the Republican candidates' debates in August and September.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph