Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Dubai hotel fire on New Year's Eve probably caused by exposed wiring, say police

Published 20/01/2016

The fire burning at the hotel in Dubai (AP)
The fire burning at the hotel in Dubai (AP)

A New Year's Eve fire at a luxury hotel in Dubai was probably caused by exposed wiring, police said.

Photographs taken after the fire showed exposed, unconnected wiring between at least two apartments on the 14th and 15th floors of the building, known as The Address Downtown Dubai, police said.

The blaze at the hotel happened just hours before a fireworks display went ahead nearby at the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building.

The fire raised new worries about the use of some kinds of aluminium panel cladding on skyscrapers in Dubai and other cities around the world.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph