Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Emmanuel Macron's campaign has been the victim of a "massive and co-ordinated" hacking attack

The presidential vote is due to take place tomorrow

Emmanuel Macron’s En Marche! campaign has said it was the victim of a “massive and co-ordinated” hacking attack just two days before French citizens take to the polls and choose their next president.

In a statement late on Friday, En Marche! said it was hacked a few weeks ago, and that the leaked documents had been mixed with false ones to “seed doubt and disinformation” and destabilise Sunday’s vote.

Macron’s team added that the online pirate attack led to the leak of campaign emails and financial documents.

The news broke just before France’s campaign blackout at midnight on Friday – from then on candidates cannot respond before Sunday’s vote.

The blackout on Saturday and most of Sunday covers any campaigning and media coverage seen as swaying the election, to allow voters a period of reflection before casting their ballots.

bpanews_9b50b38d-5eb9-4b9a-85ab-66584f32fef2_embedded1797163687

Macron is front-runner in the presidential race against former National Front leader Marine Le Pen, after only setting up his independent, centrist movement last year.

Polls suggest that Macron will beat Le Pen by around 20 percentage points, after winning the first round of voting last month.

He beat Republican candidate Francois Fillon and Socialist candidate Benoit Hamon, as well as far-left challenger Jean-Luc Melenchon in an unprecedented race in which neither of the two second round contenders came from France’s traditional parties.

France’s election campaign commission said it would hold a meeting early on Saturday to discuss the attack – in the meantime it urged French media not to publish the documents, warning that some of them were “probably” fake.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph