End 'horrendous' Syrian war, UN aid chief urges world powers
The United Nations' humanitarian chief has urged key powers not to squander the momentum to end the Syrian conflict.
Former Conservative MP Stephen O'Brien, who replaced Baroness Amos as the UN's under secretary general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief co-ordinator in May, pointed to 13.5 million people in desperate need of aid, more than four million Syrians seeking refuge elsewhere, and the indiscriminate use of weapons continuing unabated.
Mr O'Brien, who represented the Cheshire constituency of Eddisbury and was an international development minister from 2010 to 2012, told the UN Security Council that about 400,000 Syrians had made the perilous journey across the Mediterranean this year - representing more than 50% of those heading to Europe by sea.
Without a political settlement, more would follow every day even as winter approached, he said.
Mr O'Brien urged world leaders to seize the momentum from the weekend's international talks in Vienna to put an end to "this horrendous war" that has cost an estimated 250,000 lives, given rise to extremist and terrorist groups, and reduced much of what was once a middle-income country "to rubble."
He addressed the security council hours after the UN and the leaders of Britain, Germany, Norway and Kuwait issued a joint announcement saying they would host a conference in London in February to step up funding for the Syrian humanitarian crisis.
The UN had received just 3.4 billion of the 8.4 billion-dollar (£5.5bn) humanitarian appeal for Syria this year - below last year's level, the statement said.
The four countries and the UN said world leaders and representatives of non-governmental organisations and civil society would be invited to the London conference to raise "significant new funding" and address longer-term needs for jobs and education in order to offer "all those that have been forced to flee their homes greater hope for the future".
UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon's latest report on Syria said widespread conflict and high levels of violence including "indiscriminate and disproportionate aerial bombings and ground attacks" on areas with large civilian populations by government forces, opposition fighters and "terrorist" groups caused more than 190,000 people to flee their homes in October.
That figure was significantly higher than the 120,000 people Mr O'Brien estimated were displaced in a briefing to the council on October 27.
In one harrowing example of last month's violence, Mr O'Brien said several air strikes hit a market in the Damascus suburb of Douma on October 30, killing at least 60 civilians and injuring 200. The previous day, at least 15 civilians were killed and 50 injured when airstrikes reportedly hit the main field hospital in Douma.
Following these attacks, Mr O'Brien said, the rebel group Jaish al-Islam "reportedly used dozens of prisoners as human shields, placed in cages around heavily populated areas to seek to deter further air strikes in civilian areas".
Leila Zerrougui, the UN envoy working to protect children in armed conflict, predicted significant increase in the cumulative death toll of Syrian children, which was estimated at 10,000 in 2014.
The majority of children have been killed or injured as a result of indiscriminate attacks on civilians and she blamed all parties.
Ms Zerrougui said the Islamic State (IS) extremist group had committed "brutal atrocities" against children, citing as one example "recent horrific video footage allegedly portraying the mass execution of 200 children". The group has also reportedly executed children it recruited for trying to escape.
Zainab Hawa Bangura, the UN special envoy trying to combat sexual violence in conflict, accused "most of the belligerent parties" in Syria of using sexual violence "as a tactic of war".