Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

EU announces deal on £820bn budget

A tentative deal has been reached on a seven-year, 960-billion-euro (£820bn) budget that will come into effect next year, the European Commission president says.

Jose Manuel Barroso announced the deal in Brussels on Thursday. He said it includes more flexibility than earlier versions.

It still needs legislative approval. European Parliament President Martin Schulz called the deal "acceptable".

Last week, leading parties in the European Parliament said they wouldn't back an earlier budget deal.

The 27 EU nations have been trying since last autumn to cobble together a budget for the years 2014-2020 at a time when many of them are mired in recession.

The budget sets what the EU can spend on everything from infrastructure, farming to development aid and employment measures.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph