Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

European rights body wants access to under-curfew Turkish town

Published 11/09/2015

The Turkish government has vowed to fight the PKK rebels until the group agrees to disarm
The Turkish government has vowed to fight the PKK rebels until the group agrees to disarm

The top European human rights body has called on Turkey to allow independent observers into a mainly Kurdish town where a 24-hour curfew has been imposed as security forces battle suspected Kurdish militants.

Nils Muiznieks, human rights commissioner for the Council of Europe, expressed concern about allegations of "disproportionate use of force" against civilians in Cizre, a town near the Syrian border which has been under curfew since September 4.

Interior minister Selami Altinok said seven suspected Kurdish rebels and one civilian had died in clashes in the town, but a pro-Kurdish opposition party said 21 civilians had been killed.

"I have ... received serious allegations of disproportionate use of force by security forces against civilians," Mr Muiznieks said in a written statement.

"I urge the authorities to ensure immediate access to Cizre by independent observers ... in order to dispel the rumours of human rights violations perpetrated by security forces. I hope for a quick end to this emergency situation."

The town is under a virtual news blackout and activists say the curfew has severely disrupted life in the town of 100,000 inhabitants, with people complaining of shortages of food and medical services.

Authorities this week barred a delegation of pro-Kurdish party officials from entering Cizre.

Deputy prime minister Cevdet Yilmaz said the delegation was prevented from entering for its own safety.

Turkey has seen spiralling violence since July, with hundreds reported killed in the renewed conflict between security forces and the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK - including more than a hundred soldiers and police officers.

The renewed fighting has shattered a peace process with the Kurds that was launched in 2012.

The Turkish government has vowed to fight the rebels until the group agrees to disarm. The PKK is considered a terrorist organization by Turkey and its western allies.

Elsewhere, a waiter was killed and three policemen were injured when suspected Kurdish rebels opened fire on the officers at a restaurant in the majority-Kurdish city of Diyarbakir, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.

Turkey has been carrying out air strikes against PKK bases in northern Iraq and earlier this week sent ground troops for a "short-term" cross-border operation in pursuit of a group of rebels who reportedly escaped after an attack that killed 16 troops.

The state-run Anadolu Agency said 21 jets were involved in a fresh round of strikes overnight, targeting seven PKK camps in northern Iraq. The agency, citing unnamed security sources, said as many as 60 rebels were killed.

Firat news, an agency close to the rebels, confirmed the air strikes.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph