Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Family appeals for information over elderly Briton abducted in Nigeria

Published 01/03/2016

David Priestly was abducted in Nigeria a year ago
David Priestly was abducted in Nigeria a year ago
David Priestly was abducted in Nigeria last year

The family of a 72-year-old Briton who was abducted from a construction site in central Nigeria a year ago has appealed for information about his disappearance.

David Priestly's Nigerian wife called on anyone with information to come forward, describing her husband as a "good husband and loving father", in a statement released by the British High Commission.

She said he is well respected in the Nigerian community for his good works during the 30 years he has lived in the West African nation.

The statement said Mr Priestly's two children "miss him terribly" and are "desperate for any information about their father".

It said nothing about a ransom.

Kidnappings for ransom are common in Nigeria. Hostages are often released unharmed once money changes hands.

Mr Priestly was kidnapped by armed men on January 21, 2015, from Kwali, 38 miles south-west of Abuja, the capital of Nigeria.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph