Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Faulty fan sparks alert at Capitol

Police briefly evacuated hundreds of workers and tourists from the US Capitol and its adjacent visitors centre amid an alert officials tentatively blamed on a faulty kitchen fan.

"There are no signs of smoke or fire," said Kimberly Schneider, a spokeswoman for the US Capitol Police. Within an hour after alarms sounded, employees returned to the building and tourists were readmitted shortly after that.

In an email to congressional workers from Capitol Police, officials said two alarms were triggered in the visitor centre, which they said was apparently caused by "a known problem with environmental controls with the kitchen exhaust fan". It provided no additional detail.

Politicians are in recess this week.

The evacuation occurred two days after a bomb squad destroyed a pressure cooker found in an unattended "suspicious" vehicle on the National Mall near the Capitol and the vehicle's owner was arrested.

Almost six weeks earlier, a man was arrested after he flew his gyrocopter through restricted air space and on to the Capitol grounds.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?


From Belfast Telegraph