Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Five in hospital amid anthrax fears

Five people are in hospital in eastern Hungary, suspected of eating meat infected with anthrax.

Traces of the deadly bacteria were found in improperly frozen meat from two cows slaughtered illegally in the eastern town of Tiszafured, the National Public Health and Medical Officer Service said.

Some of the meat was transported to a company which operates hotels, restaurants and other facilities. The company's kitchen has been closed, the agency said.

Authorities asked people who may have eaten the infected beef to see a doctor because early treatment is the most effective.

Officials said those who may have come into contact with the infected meat are being given antibiotics as a precaution. They said there was no immediate risk of the disease spreading and were vaccinating animals in the area which could possibly be exposed to the bacteria.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph