Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Former journalist Ian Bailey faces 'show trial' over 1996 murder in Ireland

By Brian Hutton

Published 05/08/2016

Ian Bailey
Ian Bailey
Murder victim Sophie Toscan du Plantier

A former journalist is facing the prospect of a "show trial" in France over the murder of a film producer in Ireland 20 years ago, his lawyer has claimed.

Englishman Ian Bailey was arrested twice but never charged with the brutal killing of Sophie Toscan du Plantier on an isolated hillside in Toormore, near Schull, west Cork, two days before Christmas in 1996.

He has always vehemently denied any involvement.

The Association for the Truth about the Murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, founded by the dead woman's family, has been told that Mr Bailey is facing a second extradition warrant and a charge of voluntary homicide.

One of the lawyers working with the group, Laurent Pettiti, said they were notified that an indictment of voluntary homicide was issued in Paris on July 27 and a European Arrest Warrant was sent to Irish authorities on July 13. Frank Buttimer, solicitor for Mr Bailey, said the reported moves in Paris would lead to a "show trial". Mr Bailey had not been informed of any legal moves in France against him, as he "is never told anything by the authorities", Mr Buttimer said.

Last year the 59-year-old law graduate lost a marathon lawsuit against the Irish state over the handling of the Ms Toscan du Plantier murder investigation and a claim that detectives had tried to frame him.

Mr Bailey was arrested in connection with the French film-maker's murder in February 1997 and January 1998 but never charged.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph