Paraguay's former president has again shifted course, saying he has decided not to attend a South American summit this week where he had planned to protest his dismissal by Congress.
Fernando Lugo has surprised Paraguayans with conflicting announcements since the Senate voted to remove him from office last week.
At first, he said he would comply and leave office. Then, he said he would fight the decision and make his case to the region's leaders.
After saying on Monday that he would travel to Mendoza, Argentina, for a summit of the Mercosur trade bloc, on Tuesday Mr Lugo said he had decided against it.
"I don't want the other presidents to feel pressured," Mr Lugo said on television.
South American leaders plan to discuss a regional response to Mr Lugo's dismissal at the meeting, and Mercosur has barred Paraguay's new government from attending.
Ruben Penayo, an ally of the ex-president and a former government spokesman, said that Mr Lugo "wanted the other presidents to have their hands free in order to analyse the situation in Paraguay".
Congress booted Mr Lugo out of office in fast-track proceedings last week triggered by a clash between police and landless protesters in which 17 people died.
The Senate found him guilty of "poor performance of his duties", citing a clause in the constitution that leaves wide room for congressional interpretation.
Former Vice President Federico Franco took office as president after Mr Lugo's removal, and intends to serve out the remainder of his term until August 2013. Mr Franco said that he would not support pushing up the general elections, which are scheduled for April 21.