Belfast Telegraph

Sunday 21 September 2014

Four dead in US shooting rampage

Police responding to a shooting in Arkansas that left four people dead, including the gunman (AP)

A gunman shot six people at a US home, killing a man and a teenager and critically wounding two boys, before fatally shooting a worker at a nearby business, police said.

The suspected gunman was later found dead of a gunshot wound in the driver's seat of a stopped car, Jonesboro police Sergeant Doug Formon said.

He said a man and a 13-year-old girl were killed yesterday afternoon inside the home in Jonesboro, Arkansas, where it appeared a family was having a party or gathering.

Four other people were injured and were taken to hospitals. Sgt Formon said the children, aged eight and 10, were transported in critical condition.

Police received a call about the shooting at the home and later responded to a report of a second shooting at a business, where the worker was found shot to death.

Sgt Formon said a farmer or passing motorist later called to report a car parked in the middle of a county road. A deputy responded and found the stopped car with the suspected gunman inside.

He said police did not know of a motive and that the investigation is ongoing.

He declined to identify the victims or the suspect, saying officials wanted to be sure all family members had been notified. It was not known if the suspect and victims were related.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz