Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

France and Kuwait both hit on day of carnage

By Staff Reporter

Published 27/06/2015

There was further bloodshed in France and Kuwait yesterday.

A suspected Islamic extremist is being questioned by anti-terror police after his boss was found decapitated at a gas factory near Lyon, while 25 people died in a suicide bombing at a mosque in Kuwait.

The severed head of the French victim was hung from a post at the factory's entrance in Grenoble with a message written on it, reportedly in Arabic.

French officials said two men in a car had earlier crashed into the factory site and ploughed into gas canisters, sparking an explosion, at around 10am local time. French interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve named the suspected attacker as father-of-three Yassine Salhi, who was investigated in 2006 for his alleged ties to Islamic extremists.

It is understood the suspect's wife is also in custody.

French officials said the victim was Salhi's employer, the boss of a local transportation company.

His torso was found close to the factory site, while two flags with Arabic inscriptions were also discovered at the scene of the attack.

Two other people were injured in the incident, which French president Francois Hollande described as having "the hallmarks of a terrorist attack".

Meanwhile, in Kuwait a suicide bomber purportedly from an Islamic State affiliate has unleashed the first terrorist attack in the country in more than two decades, killing at least 25 people and wounding scores more at a Shiite mosque.

The bombing struck the Imam Sadiq Mosque in the residential neighborhood of al-Sawabir in Kuwait's capital, Kuwait City, after Friday prayers.

Belfast Telegraph

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph