Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

France opens manslaughter inquiry into EgyptAir crash

Published 27/06/2016

The EgyptAir plane crashed on May 19 (AP)
The EgyptAir plane crashed on May 19 (AP)

Paris prosecutors have opened a manslaughter inquiry into the EgyptAir plane crash that killed 66 people, saying there is not yet any evidence to link it to terrorism.

A spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office said the inquiry was launched on Monday as an accident investigation, not a terrorism probe.

Agnes Thibault-Lecuivre added that authorities are "not at all" favouring the theory that the plane was brought down deliberately.

The decision to open the investigation was based on evidence gathered so far, she said, without giving any further details.

The French-manufactured plane, en route from Paris to Cairo, crashed in the Mediterranean on May 19. Search teams have recovered its two flight recorders, which have not yet been analysed, and the cause of the crash remains unclear.

The black boxes have now arrived in Paris, where technicians will attempt to repair them.

Both devices were extensively damaged in the crash and Egyptian investigators were unable to download information from them.

The Egyptian investigating committee said in a statement on Monday that the "electronic boards" of both the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder were flown to France.


Read More

From Belfast Telegraph