Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 23 August 2014

Fresh interview for Norway suspect

Norwegian police say they will interview Anders Behring Breivik again but they have not said what they will ask him about

Norwegian police have said they will again interrogate the 32-year-old suspect in last week's bombing and shooting massacre that killed at least 76 people.

Police attorney Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told a news conference they will interview Anders Behring Breivik again on Friday, but did not indicate what they would ask him about.

Breivik has confessed to the attacks, saying he was trying to save the Western world from Muslim colonization and justifying the rampage in a 1,500-page anti-immigrant manifesto. His attorney has said he considers himself a "saviour" and that he is likely insane. He has pleaded not guilty to the terrorism charges he faces.

Breivik claimed wide contact with individuals and groups he says support his opposition to immigration. But questions persist about whether there was a genuine network or if Breivik's statements were exaggerations.

Norway's response to the camp attack, on the island of Utoya, has been criticized. Though it is just 25 miles from Oslo, it took police 90 minutes to get there. The crew of the sole helicopter available to police was on vacation, and the first boat that officials tried to take to the island broke down.

The leader of Norway's Delta Force anti-terror police unit defended the special operations team and said the breakdown didn't cause a significant delay. The team jumped into other boats and got to Utoya quickly, police officials said.

Police gave an eerie account of the end of the siege, saying Breivik obediently gave up the moment police approached him, holding his hands over his head.

"It was a completely normal arrest," said officer Haavard Gaasbakk.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said an independent commission will be formed to investigate the attacks and determine what lessons can be learned from the response. The commission also is to help survivors and relatives cope with the aftermath. Parliament said it is willing to help pay for funerals, and a monument will be built to commemorate the victims.

He said Norway will never be the same, but insisted the massacre shouldn't change the country's culture of tolerance, calling on Norwegians to embrace the oppenness Breivik said he was trying to destroy.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz