Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Fugitive held after Athens shootout

Paramedics carry an injured Australian tourist after a shootout at Monastiraki in Athens, Greece (AP)

Police have arrested one of Greece's most wanted men - a fugitive convicted of terrorism - during a shootout in Athens' central tourist district that left four people wounded.

It was not immediately clear how the lunchtime shootout began in the crowded Monastiraki district, steps away from the city's central Syntagma Square.

Police said the wounded included Nikos Maziotis, who has been on the run along with his wife Panagiota Roupa since 2012 following their release from jail after serving the maximum 18 months in pre-trial detention.

Maziotis was being treated in a central Athens hospital under heavy police guard.

Maziotis and Roupa were convicted in absentia last year and sentenced to 25 years for participation in Revolutionary Struggle, a group active between 2003 and 2009 and best known for firing a rocket-propelled grenade into the US Embassy and bombing the Athens Stock Exchange. Neither of those attacks caused injuries.

In January, authorities announced a one million euro (£790,000) reward each for information leading to their arrest.

Police said the others wounded were a police officer and two bystanders, both foreign tourists.

Witnesses at the scene told The Associated Press that an Australian tourist was slightly injured in the leg.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk