Belfast Telegraph

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Fumes kill boy keeping warm in car

A boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning amid severe weather in Boston (AP)

An 11-year-old boy has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being overcome as he sat in a running car to keep warm while his father was shovelling snow.

Boston Fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald said the boy was helping his father shovel the snow but got cold, so his father started the car and the boy got inside.

Mr MacDonald said the car exhaust was covered by a snow bank, causing the fumes to collect in the vehicle.

When the boy was overcome by the fumes, his father went into respiratory arrest, and emergency workers took both to hospital.

The boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. No names were released.

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz