Belfast Telegraph

Monday 14 July 2014

Germany suspends Rwanda budget aid

Germany has said it is suspending planned budget aid to Rwanda

Germany has said it is suspending planned budget aid to Rwanda following allegations that the country supported eastern Congo's latest rebellion.

Germany's development ministry said that it has suspended 21 million euros (£16.5 million) in contributions to Rwanda's budget planned from this year through to 2015.

Britain and the Netherlands have already suspended support and the US has cut planned military aid.

A report by UN experts last month accused Rwanda of helping create, arm and support the M23 rebel movement in violation of UN sanctions. Rwanda denies the charges.

German Development Minister Dirk Niebel said he expects "unreserved co-operation" by Rwanda with the UN experts.

He added in a statement: "The accusations must be cleared up completely, and it must be clear that Rwanda does not support any illegal militias in eastern Congo."

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz