Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Granny accidentally poisons children with out-of-date hot chocolate

Published 02/04/2015

A 77-year-old Italian woman accidentally served expired sachets of drinking chocolate to her grandchildren
A 77-year-old Italian woman accidentally served expired sachets of drinking chocolate to her grandchildren

An Italian granny has accidentally poisoned herself and three children with hot chocolate that went out of date more than a decade ago.

The 77-year-old woman, named as Mrs Rosetta, reportedly found the expired sachets at home and mixed them into warm milk as a treat for her two grandchildren and their friend.

She also enjoyed some of the hot drink, along with her partner and son, Il Mattino reported.

Her partner was the first to feel the effects, suffering sickness and diarrhoea, before the whole group had to be hospitalised with food poisoning symptoms.

One of the children, who were aged between eight and 12, reportedly remained in hospital for almost three weeks.

Suspicions quickly turned to the hot chocolate and when she was able to return home, Mrs Rosetta discovered that the expiry date was 5 June 1990, Il Giornale di Vicenza reported.

She had brought the drink sachets “a few years earlier” in the 1980s, the newspaper said, but forgot about them as they languished hidden in the bottom of a cupboard.

The hot chocolate’s expiry date was in the month when Italy hosted the start of the World Cup, the destruction of the Berlin Wall began, the US and Russia signed a treaty to end chemical weapon production and J.K Rowling finished writing Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

Prosecutors are now considering pressing charges against Mrs Rosetta over the incident.

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph