Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Hamilton Zoo attack tiger will not be put down

Published 21/09/2015

A Sumatran tiger which attacked and killed a zookeeper was said to be acting on instinct
A Sumatran tiger which attacked and killed a zookeeper was said to be acting on instinct

A New Zealand zoo has decided that it will not euthanise a Sumatran tiger that attacked and killed a veteran zookeeper.

The male tiger named Oz killed 43-year-old Samantha Kudeweh on Sunday morning inside the animal's enclosure at Hamilton Zoo. Ms Kudeweh had been a zookeeper for more than 20 years and was the mother of two children, aged nine and three.

The zoo, which houses five Sumatran tigers, is owned and operated by Hamilton City Council.

Lance Vervoort, the council's general manager, said there was always a risk for zoo staff in managing big animals like Oz but the tiger did not pose a wider risk.

"Oz is a significant animal for his species," Mr Vervoort said. "He is the father of our two cubs, and he is vital to the ongoing breeding programme to conserve this rare species."

Sumatran tigers are considered critically endangered, with less than 400 of the tiger subspecies still living in the wild on the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

Mr Vervoot said the view of zoo professionals was that the attack was in line with the tiger's natural instincts.

The zoo was closed after the attack. It will reopen on Thursday.

Mr Vervoot said the zoo would not comment on what went wrong until an investigation is completed.

Ms Kudeweh was the zoo's curator, responsible for organising what animals the zoo obtained and how it looked after them. She had worked at several zoos before starting at the Hamilton Zoo in 2005. She wrote about her job on the zoo's website:

"For me the best thing about my role is the opportunities to interact with other species one to one, but there is a downside and that is having to say goodbye to animals," she wrote. "That part never gets any easier."

She was married to another zoo professional.

Council spokesman Jeff Neems said the public was never in danger during the incident and that all animals had remained contained in their enclosures.

Mr Neems said the zoo has 128,000 visitors a year, making it about the fourth most popular zoo in New Zealand.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph