An orphaned baby has been found alive three days after the Indonesian earthquake that has killed more than 350 people.
The 18-month-old boy was recovering in a health centre after being found in a clump of trees on Pagai Selatan island. Both his parents were confirmed dead.
The discovery was one of the few bright spots after the tsunami flattened villages and displaced tens of thousands of people when it hit on Monday. The death toll rose above 350 today with fears that hundreds more bodies may have been swept out to sea.
On the other side of the country the volcano that killed 33 people earlier this week began erupting again.
The twin catastrophes struck within 24 hours severely testing the emergency response network.
Islanders dug graves and slung up plastic sheets to sleep under in one of the hardest-hit areas, where a 10ft wave had swept houses off their foundations and deposited the shattered remains in the jungle.
Officials said a multimillion-dollar warning system installed after the monster 2004 quake and tsunami broke down a month ago because it was not being properly maintained.
However, Joern Lauterjung, head of the German-Indonesia Tsunami Early Warning Project for the Potsdam-based GeoForschungs Zentrum, said a warning did go out five minutes after the quake - but the tsunami hit so fast no one was warned in time.
Search and rescue teams - kept away for days by stormy seas and bad weather - found roads and beaches with swollen corpses lying on them, the West Sumatra provincial disaster management centre said.
Some wore face masks as they wrapped corpses in black body bags on Pagai Utara, one of the four main islands in the Mentawai chain located between Sumatra and the Indian Ocean.