Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Indonesia president orders probe after police killed in suicide attacks

Indonesia's president has ordered a thorough investigation into twin suicide bombings in Jakarta which targeted police, killing three officers, in the deadliest attack by suspected militants in the capital in a year.

Five other police officers and five civilians were injured in the blasts on Wednesday night.

President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said he had ordered police to "thoroughly investigate the networks of the perpetrators and hunt them to the roots". He spoke from his home town of Solo in Central Java province.

Muslim-majority Indonesia has carried out a sustained crackdown on militants since the 2002 Bali bombings by al Qaida-affiliated radicals that killed 202 people. A new threat has emerged in the past several years from Islamic State group sympathisers.

Vice National Police Chief Syafruddin, who uses one name, said an initial investigation into Wednesday's attacks showed there were two explosions by two suicide bombers near a bus terminal, where police were providing security for a parade.

Police said an anti-terror squad immediately raided two houses believed to be owned by the perpetrators in neighbouring provinces of Banten and West Java.

The attack was the deadliest in Jakarta since a suicide and gun strike in January 2016 which left four civilians and four assailants dead. Authorities have disrupted a number of other planned attacks since.

In February, police fatally shot a suspected militant in the West Java capital of Bandung after his bomb exploded in a vacant lot and he fled into a municipal building and set it alight.

Police identified him as a member of Jemaah Anshorut Daulah (JAD), a network of almost two dozen Indonesian extremist groups that formed in 2015 and pledges allegiance to Islamic State group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

JAD has been linked to numerous plots in Indonesia, including the 2016 Jakarta attack.

In March, police shot dead a suspected JAD member and wounded another as they tried to escape a raid. At least six other militants were arrested, including some accused of trying to establish a jihadist training camp in eastern Indonesia and suspected of having links with Abu Sayyaf militants in the southern Philippines.

Last month, police said they had arrested three suspected militants who were accused of planning to attack a police station in East Java.

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told his Parliament on Thursday that he had phoned Mr Jokowi to "offer our condolences and our resolute support to Indonesia as we condemn the murderous terrorist attack on civilians and police in Jakarta last night".

"While we mourn, we must learn from these events as we do and sharpen our resolve to defeat the terrorists abroad and at home," said Mr Turnbull, also referring to the suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena in Britain this week in which 22 people were killed.

Australia's opposition leader Bill Shorten condemned the Jakarta attacks as "absolutely despicable".

He told Parliament the suicide bombings only days before the holy month of Ramadan showed that "terrorists have no respect for faith or creed or the background of any of their victims".

Australia and Indonesia plan to jointly host an Asia-Pacific summit in August aimed at co-ordinating against the security threat posed by home-grown Islamic militants returning from battlefields in Syria and Iraq.

AP

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph