Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Indonesia quake death toll hits 30

The death toll from the earthquake that hit Indonesia earlier this week has reached 30.

Soldiers, police and volunteers are searching debris from the earthquake for another 12 people who are believed to be missing.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, of the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, said the main focus of recovery efforts would be to search for more victims, assist the injured and provide supplies for those in need.

Mr Nugroho said 275 people were injured and more than 4,300 houses and buildings were damaged in Aceh province in Tuesday's magnitude-6.1 quake.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes. In 2004, a magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Aceh triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in 14 countries.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph