Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Iraq military push to drive IS out

Published 26/05/2015

Residents and Sunni fighters welcome Iraqi Shiite Hezbollah Brigade militiamen, who are joining the fight against Islamic State (AP)
Residents and Sunni fighters welcome Iraqi Shiite Hezbollah Brigade militiamen, who are joining the fight against Islamic State (AP)

A military operation has been launched to drive Islamic State out of the western Anbar province of Iraq, where the extremists captured the provincial capital Ramadi earlier this month.

Iraqi state TV declared the start of the operation, in which troops will be backed by Shiite and Sunni paramilitary forces.

Islamic State (IS, or Isil) seized large parts of Anbar, starting early last year, and captured Ramadi earlier this month. The fall of the city marked a major defeat for Iraqi forces, which had been making steady progress against the extremists over the past year with the help of US-led airstrikes.

Security forces and Sunni militiamen who had been fighting the extremists in Ramadi for months collapsed as IS fighters overran the city. The militants gained not only new territory 70 miles west of Baghdad, but also large stocks of weapons abandoned by the Iraqi government forces as they fled.

The capture of Ramadi was a major blow to the allied strategy against Islamic State. US defence secretary Ash Carter said on Sunday that Iraqi forces "vastly outnumbered" the IS militants in Ramadi but "showed no will to fight".

Saad al-Hadithi, a spokesman for Iraq's prime minister Haider al-Abadi, said his country's government was surprised by Mr Carter's remarks and the defence secretary "was likely given incorrect information".

Mr al-Abadi has called on Shiite militias to help Iraqi troops retake the Sunni province of Anbar.

The militiamen have played a key role in clawing back territory from IS elsewhere in Iraq but rights groups accuse them of looting, destroying property and carrying out revenge attacks. Militia leaders deny the allegations.

A spokesman for Iraq's Shiite militias said the operation will "not last for a long time" and that Iraqi forces have surrounded the provincial capital, Ramadi, from three sides.

Ahmed al-Assadi, who is also a member of parliament, told reporters that new weapons are being used in the battle "that will surprise the enemy".

The US military said it will provide some 2,000 anti-tank rockets to Iraq "within the next week" to help it fight IS.

The military made the comment in a statement which also said the US-led coalition has carried out more than 4,100 air strikes in Iraq and Syria since beginning its campaign in August.

A massive sandstorm engulfed Anbar province amid the fight against IS.

The sandstorm swept through parts of the IS-held city of Ramadi on Tuesday afternoon, moving west to Fallujah and other parts of the province.

While major fighting had slowed by the afternoon, tribal chief Rafie al-Fahdawi said he worried the lowered visibility would embolden new attacks by the extremists.

He said: "There is zero visibility on the front lines and our men are highly concerned that they might come under attack by Daesh in such bad weather," using an alternate Arabic acronym for the group.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph