IS attack Iraq town as fighting aims to drive it out of Mosul
Iraqi and Kurdish forces have advanced on a town near Mosul as part of a bid to retake it from Islamic State, which staged an assault in western Iraq in an apparent diversionary tactic.
The Kurdish forces, known as peshmerga, said they launched a dawn offensive on two fronts to the north-east of Mosul, near the town of Bashiqa.
Major General Haider Fadhil, of Iraq's special forces, said they had also launched an assault on Bashiqa, surrounding it and seizing parts of the town.
He said the Kurds captured two villages near Bashiqa and a small Shiite shrine in the area.
Over the last week, Iraqi and Kurdish forces have been battling IS in mostly uninhabited towns and villages around Mosul, contending with roadside bombs, snipers and suicide truck bombs.
In western Iraq, IS stormed into Rutba, unleashing three suicide car bombs that were blown up before hitting their targets, according to the spokesman for the Joint Military Command, Brigadier General Yahya Rasool.
He said some militants were killed and declined to say whether any civilians or Iraqi forces were killed. He said the militants did not seize any government buildings and the situation "is under control".
IS carried out a large assault on the northern city of Kirkuk on Friday, in which more than 50 militants stormed government compounds and other targets.
It set off more than 24 hours of heavy fighting and killed at least 80 people, mainly security forces.
The IS-run Aamaq news agency earlier said militants stormed the town from several directions.
Lieutenant General Stephen Townsend, the top US commander in Iraq, confirmed there had been a complex attack in Rutba and said he expects more such attacks as the militants try to divert attention from Mosul.
The Mosul offensive involves more than 25,000 Iraqi ground forces as well as US-led coalition aircraft and advisers. It is expected to take weeks, if not months, to drive IS from Mosul, which is home to more than a million civilians.
Bashiqa is close to a military base where some 500 Turkish troops are training Sunni and Kurdish fighters for the Mosul offensive.
The presence of the Turkish troops has angered Iraq, which says it did not allow them to enter the country and called on them to withdraw. Turkey has refused, insisting that it play a role in retaking Mosul from IS.
US defence secretary Ash Carter has visited both countries in recent days and arrived in the Kurdish regional capital, Irbil on Sunday.
After meeting with Turkey's leaders, Mr Carter had announced an "agreement in principle" for Turkey to have a role in the operation. But Iraqi prime minister Haider al-Abadi appeared to bat that idea down when he met Mr Carter on Saturday, insisting that Mosul was an "Iraqi battle".
"I know that the Turks want to participate, we tell them thank you, this is something the Iraqis will handle and the Iraqis will liberate Mosul and the rest of the territories," he said.
The forces taking part in the Mosul offensive include Iraqi troops, the peshmerga, Sunni tribal fighters and state-sanctioned Shiite militias.
Many fear the operation could heighten tensions between Iraq's different communities, which are allied against IS but divided over a host of other issues.
These include the fate of territories near mostly Sunni Mosul that are claimed by the largely autonomous Kurdish region and the central government.
Mr Carter praised the peshmerga, saying they "fight extremely well", but also acknowledged they suffered casualties.
Brigadier General Halgord Hekmet, a spokesman for the Kurdish forces, told reporters that 25 of their troops have been killed since the battle to retake Mosul began and a "large number" had been wounded.
He said the peshmerga have had good coalition air support, but could use more armored vehicles and roadside bomb detectors. Most of the fallen peshmerga were in regular cars, he said.
The UN agency for children meanwhile expressed concern over the more than 4,000 people it says have fled from areas around Mosul since the operation began.
Unicef's Iraq representative, Peter Hawkins, said that in at least one refugee camp the conditions for children were "very, very poor". He said Unicef teams delivered water, sanitation and other supplies expected to last seven days.
They also provided immunisations against polio and measles, which he said had not been available during the more than two years that the people lived under IS rule. Unicef has plans to assist more than 784,000 people, including up to 500,000 children.
Mr Hawkins says children in and around Mosul are at risk of death or injury from the fighting, as well as sexual violence, kidnapping and recruitment by armed groups.