Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Italian Premier Enrico Letta survives confidence votes

Italian Premier Enrico Letta's reconstituted governing coalition has comfortably survived confidence votes which were called after Silvio Berlusconi defected to the opposition.

Mr Letta's government easily won the votes in both the upper and lower chambers of parliament with the backing of a new centre-right party that split from Mr Berlusconi.

In a speech to the lower Chamber of Deputies, Mr Letta called for a "new start" and outlined his priorities for 2014, including stimulating the economy, reducing unemployment and reforming Italy's electoral law, which many view as contributing to the country's political instability.

Mr Letta took power seven months ago after no party won a secure majority in the Senate, forcing an uneasy coalition of long-time political foes. Mr Berlusconi failed to bring down the government on October 2, after party dissidents refused his call to withdraw support.

Mr Berlusconi shifted his party to the opposition last month after the Senate took away his seat due to his tax fraud conviction.

"I have always considered this experience as a passage from a situation of conflict between toxic enemies to a system of healthy competition between adversaries," said Mr Letta.

Nevertheless, there were signs of tension during Mr Letta's address. He took on the leader of the anti-establishment 5 Star Movement, Beppe Grillo, for having invited police officers to refuse protection to Italian politicians being targeted in grass-roots protests cropping up in Italy.

Mr Letta said institutions must command respect "even more so during bitter periods", and he warned against infusing politics with "illegitimate actions and words that endorse violence".

AP

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph