Jihadists release disturbing video of British hostage
Iraq: Islamic militants have released a propaganda video featuring another British hostage.
The video shows journalist John Cantlie sitting at a desk, looking calm and reading from a prepared script, promising to tell the "truth" about the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS) movement.
The video is the latest footage showing a British hostage to emerge from IS militants, following the murder of David Haines and the threat to kill aid worker Alan Henning.
Mr Cantlie (47), from Salford, said he was a prisoner and his "fate now lies in the hands of the Islamic State".
The footage, which has good quality sound and lighting, shows Mr Cantlie dressed the orange outfit worn by other hostages in IS videos. Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said in Denmark that he was aware of the video but had not yet seen it.
He said: "I've heard the reports of another video being released on social media.
"These videos can be very distressing for the families of the individuals involved.
"But I haven't seen the video myself, as you'll appreciate, I've been in meetings here all day, but obviously we'll look very closely at any material that has been released on the internet."
Asked if he had any news on Mr Henning, the Foreign Secretary said: "I have nothing to add on the situation of the hostages.
"Obviously we are doing everything we can to support them and their families, but you wouldn't expect me to give a running commentary."
In the video, Mr Cantlie said: "Now, I know what you are thinking, you are thinking 'he is only doing this because he is a prisoner, he's got a gun at his head and he is being forced to do this', right?
"Well, it's true, I am a prisoner, that I cannot deny. But, seeing as I have been abandoned by my government and my fate now lies in the hands of the Islamic State, I have nothing to lose."
He promises that "over the next few programmes" he will show the "truth as the Western media tries to drag the public back to the abyss of another war with the Islamic State".
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said the Foreign Office would examine the video to "look at its origins and check its veracity".
He added: "I don't think we need any reminding of what an odious and barbaric movement Isil is."
Alice suspect is a convicted killer
Ealing: Detectives have revealed that a Latvian builder they are searching for in connection with the disappearance of schoolgirl Alice Gross was convicted of murdering his wife.
Fourteen-year-old Alice was last seen on August 28, when she was spotted on CCTV by the Grand Union Canal, west London.
Detective Superintendent Carl Mehta, from the Met's Homicide and Major Crime Command, named Arnis Zalkalns as a suspect after he was seen on CCTV around the tow path where Alice went missing.
The 41-year-old was convicted of murdeing his wife in Latvia in 1998 and was also arrested on suspicion of indecent assault in the Ealing area in 2009. He is thought to be from Riga, the Latvian capital.
Mr Mehta said: “The conviction was in 1998 and he served a custodial sentence of seven years.”
Mr Mehta said no further action was taken against Zalkalns over the indecent assault allegation, which involved a 14-year-old girl.
He also insisted that police have no evidence suggesting Alice has come to harm.
“This is not a murder inquiry in the sense that we don't have any evidence or information to say that Alice is not alive,” Mr Mehta said.
Zalkalns was seen on CCTV cycling along Brentford Lock at 4pm on August 28, 15 minutes after Alice walked the route.
Detectives believe he is likely to have seen Alice as they were both going north along the canal towpath.
Pregnant Kate withdraws from first solo tour to Malta
London: The Duchess of Cambridge will not travel to Malta this weekend for her first official solo overseas visit because she is still suffering the effects of acute morning sickness.
Kate, who is pregnant with her second child, had been in doubt after suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum — just like her in first pregnancy.
Her husband the Duke of Cambridge will take her place.
Kensington Palace said the decision not to travel was taken by the Cambridges on the advice of the Duchess's doctors.
The visit over the coming weekend had been eagerly anticipated by the people of Malta and would have seen the Duchess celebrate the 50th anniversary of independence.
Honeymooning Briton killed in jet ski tragedy
Greece: A Briton has been killed in a jet ski incident.
The man, believed to have been aged 39 and on his honeymoon, died of severe injuries after the incident on the island of Santorini yesterday.
There are reports that he may have been struck by another British jet skier, with Greek authorities reported as saying that the owner of the water sports rental had been arrested along with a 29-year-old Briton, who is believed to have been a friend of the dead man.
Death toll rises to 80 in church building collapse
Nigeria: The death toll in a building collapse at a televangelist's church complex has risen to 80, an official said.
Ibrahim Farinloye, of the Nigerian Emergency Management Agency, announced the toll as search operations continued at TB Joshua's Synagogue, Church of All Nations, on the outskirts of Lagos, Nigeria's commercial capital.
South Africa has said 67 South African citizens died in the September 12 collapse of a guesthouse at the church complex.