Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Kandahar Air Field clashes between Taliban and security forces leave 37 dead

Published 09/12/2015

Civilians wait as Afghan security forces guard at the main gate of Kandahar civilian airport. (AP)
Civilians wait as Afghan security forces guard at the main gate of Kandahar civilian airport. (AP)

A Taliban assault on an airport in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar has killed 37 people.

The assault, which began on Tuesday, also left 35 people wounded. It said nine attackers have been killed and one wounded. By Wednesday evening, one remaining attacker was still battling security forces.

Meanwhile, a Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, said in a statement to media that the insurgents were still attacking Afghan forces and had killed "many soldiers and destroyed vehicles and helicopters". The claim could not be verified, and the Taliban often exaggerate battlefield victories.

The Taliban has expanded its footprint across the country in recent months, and in September captured and held the northern city of Kunduz for three days.

Afghan forces have struggled to roll back the insurgents since the US and Nato formally concluded their combat mission at the end of last year.

The southern province of Kandahar, with the provincial capital of the same name, is a Taliban heartland. The sprawling airport in Kandahar city, known as Kandahar Air Field has both a military and a civilian section, as well as a Nato base.

In Brussels, a Nato spokesman for the Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan said there were no coalition casualties in the Kandahar assault.

US Army Colonel Michael Lawhorn said the Taliban "never physically entered the airfield" in Kandahar but fired toward the air base from positions inside a nearby school.

Meanwhile, reports from the western Herat province said dozens of insurgents were killed in clashes between rival Taliban factions - the mainstream group loyal to Mullah Akhtar Mansoor and the breakaway faction that follows renegade Taliban commander Mullah Mohammad Rasool, said Rauf Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial police chief.

"Since last two days of intense battle, between rival Taliban commanders in Shindand district, there are reports of more than 100 Taliban fighters being killed from both sides," said Ahmadi. He added that the fight broke out in Zerko area on Monday and around 30 others are wounded.

Ahmadi also said that battle has forced a number of villagers to flee, but that there have been no reports of civilian casualties so far.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yousof Ahmadi denied the reports of the infighting, saying instead that the Taliban are fighting local police forces in Shindand district in Herat province.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph