Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

KFC must pay £5m to poisoned girl

KFC has been ordered to pay eight million Australian dollars (£5.1 million) to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps.

Monika Samaan's family sued KFC, claiming the then-seven-year-old girl contracted salmonella poisoning from a KFC chicken wrap in 2005.

She was in a coma for months and left with brain damage.

New South Wales Supreme Court Justice Stephen Rothman ruled last week that KFC was responsible for the food poisoning. Now he has ordered KFC to pay the damages plus legal costs.

KFC denied responsibility and said it would appeal.

Samaan's lawyer, George Vlahakis, said the family was relieved the court battle was over, but is upset about KFC's plans to appeal.

www.kfc.com/ (KFC)

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph