Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Las Vegas shooting leaves 59 dead at Mandalay casino - Trump says 'attack of pure evil'

Worst mass shooting in US

At least 59 people have been killed and 527 other people injured in a mass shooting at an outdoor music festival on the Las Vegas Strip, officials have confirmed.

President Trump has called the mass shooting in Las Vegas "an act of pure evil."

In a televised address, the American leader said he will visit Las Vegas on Wednesday to meet first responders and families of the victims.

Mr Trump added that "the nation must stay unified".

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh said they were "saddened" to hear of the shooting in Las Vegas.

In a message of condolence to US president Donald Trump, they described the atrocity as a "terrible attack".

The Queen's message said: "Prince Philip and I were saddened to learn of the terrible attack in Las Vegas.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families and those who have been injured."

Vegas resident named as Stephen Paddock is suspected of being the man who opened fire on the Route 91 Harvest Festival on the Las Vegas Strip.

He was killed by police on 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, situated across from the concert.

It is believed his girlfriend Marilou Danley was held for questioning after a city-wide search was launched to find her.

US President Donald Trump posted on Twitter his "warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families" of the shootings. A White House spokeswoman said Mr Trump had been "briefed on the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas."

On Twitter, Prime Minister Theresa May wrote: "The UK's thoughts are with the victims and the emergency services responding to the appalling attack in Las Vegas."

Concert-goers reported seeing muzzle flashes from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino across Las Vegas Boulevard from the music festival and the sound of what they described as automatic gunfire.

British tennis star Laura Robson was among those attending the concert.

She shared two pictures of herself at the event, wearing a cowboy hat with an American flag emblazoned on it.  Asked by a Twitter follower if she was all right, she wrote: "I'm okay. We were right there ... sounded like fireworks at first then everyone started running."

She added it had been a "scary" experience. 

Kodiak Yazzie, 36, said he and his girlfriend were watching country star Jason Aldean's performance when he heard what sounded like fireworks. The music stopped temporarily and then started up again before another round of pops sent the performers ducking for cover and fleeing the stage.

Thousands fled as bursts of gunfire could be heard for more than five minutes, Mr Yazzie said.

Witnesses said they saw multiple victims and dozens of ambulances near the concert venue. Some attendees later huddled in the basement of the nearby Tropicana hotel-casino.

Officers carrying assault rifles ran into the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino.

>>Have you been caught up in the dramatic events in Vegas? Contact us at digital.editorial@belfasttelegraph.co.uk or on Facebook <<

Flights were temporarily halted at McCarran International Airport because of the shooting, the airport said on its verified Twitter account.

Country music star Jason Aldean took to social media to say he and his crew are safe after the shooting.

Aldean was in the middle of his performance when shots were fired into the crowd.

He posted on Instagram hours later, calling the incident "beyond horrific".

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph