Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Lauren Wasser: Model's leg amputated after contracting Toxic Shock Syndrome from a tampon, sues Kotex

Published 19/06/2015

Lauren Wasser almost died after contracting Toxic Shock Syndrome from her tampon. Source: Lauren Wasser/ Facebook
Lauren Wasser almost died after contracting Toxic Shock Syndrome from her tampon. Source: Lauren Wasser/ Facebook

Former model Lauren Wasser, who once graced the cover of Italian Vogue, is suing sanitary hygiene company Kotex after she lost a leg as a result of an illness developed from a tampon.

Ms Wasser had her leg amputated below the knee after she fell seriously ill with Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) three years ago.

TSS is a rare life-threatening complication related to bacterial infections which can cause the body’s organs to shut down and is often linked to the use of tampons.

Three years ago the model was rushed to hospital after collapsing with a high fever. On arrival her major organs began to fail and she suffered a heart attack. Ms. Wasser’s leg became infected and was amputated from the knee down.

Ms Wasser has taken action against Kotex and claims that their advice and warnings about Toxic Shock Syndrome are not clear enough.

“Everything I had was based on looks,” she told Vice magazine.

“I was that girl and I didn’t even think about it. I wanted to kill myself when I got home," she says.

"I was this girl—and then all of a sudden I don't have a leg, I'm in a wheelchair, I have half a foot, I can't even walk to the bathroom. I'm in a bed, I can't move, and I felt like those four walls were my prison."

The model said she used Kotex Natural Balance as per the products instructions to change “every four to eight hours”.

“You know cigarettes can kill you, so when you use them it’s your choice. Had I known all the info about TSS I would never have used tampons,” she said.

Only one person in a thousand fall ill with Toxic Shock Syndrome as a result of using tampons.

Irish Independent

Irish Independent

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph