Belfast Telegraph

Friday 22 August 2014

Letter sent to US President Barack Obama contained lethal ricin poison

President Barack Obama speaks in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, about the Boston Marathon explosions. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
President Barack Obama speaks in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, April 16, 2013, about the Boston Marathon explosions. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
Lu Lingzi who was one of the three people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing
Lu Lingzi who was one of the three people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing
BOSTON, MA - APRIL 15:  A member of the bomb squad investigates a suspicious item on the road near Kenmore Square after two bombs exploded during the 117th Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. Two people are confirmed dead and at least 23 injured after two explosions went off near the finish line to the marathon.  (Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images)
BOSTON, MA - APRIL 15: A member of the bomb squad investigates a suspicious item on the road near Kenmore Square after two bombs exploded during the 117th Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. Two people are confirmed dead and at least 23 injured after two explosions went off near the finish line to the marathon. (Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images)

A letter sent to president Barack Obama apparently contained poisonous ricin, the FBI has revealed..

It is undergoing further testing because preliminary field tests can be unreliable, creating false positives.

The letter was intercepted away from the White House. It comes the day after officials said a letter sent to a US senator contained ricin. That was intercepted at a Senate mail facility just outside Washington.

The FBI said there was no indication of a connection to the bombing at the Boston marathon.

Meanwhile, the third person killed in the Boston Marathon bombings was a Chinese graduate student at Boston University who was originally from China's northeastern city of Shenyang, a state-run Chinese newspaper reported today.

The Shenyang Evening News said on its official Twitter-like microblog account that the victim's name is Lu Lingzi. An editor at the newspaper said Ms Lu's father confirmed his daughter's death when reporters visited the family home.

The Chinese Foreign Ministry and Consulate General in New York are not releasing the victim's name at the request of the family. But yesterday Boston media quoted a Chinese Consulate General official as saying that Chinese national Lu Lingzi was missing in the wake of Monday's bombings which killed three people and injured more than 170.

In the Chinese-language world of social media, people have been sharing their condolences on what is believed to be Ms Lu's microblogging account hosted by Sina Weibo, which was last updated on Monday with a breakfast photo. By early this morning, more than 14,000 comments had been left on the page.

Friends contacted through Sina Weibo have largely declined to speak to media about Ms Lu, saying they were adhering to the wishes of her family.

Ms Lu graduated from a Shenyang high school and studied international trade at Beijing Institute of Technology before going to the United States to study statistics as a graduate student at Boston University, according to media reports, Ms Lu's friends and her own Facebook page.

The Chinese form the largest contingent of foreign students at US colleges and universities. Last year, nearly 200,000 Chinese were enrolled in US higher education institutions, and Massachusetts had almost 10,000 Chinese students on its college campuses, according to the Institute of International Education.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz