Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Liam Neeson will not return to Ireland because of water charges - star says people have been ' f***ed from a great height' by bankers and government

Actor Liam Neeson has said he will not move home to Ireland since the Fine Gael and Labour coaltion government introduced new water charges.

The 62-year-old star, who hails from Co Antrim but has lived in New York for 20 years, said he had planned to return to Ireland now his two teenage sons Daniel and Michael have left home for university.

However, speaking to the Irish Sun, Neeson said he had changed his mind due to the austerity measures implemented by the government.

"We've been f***ed from a great height by these bankers and it's the final straw," he said.  "To tax people for their water.  Just wrong.  I've always thought about coming home, especially now with my empty nest but this is just insulting.  It turns me completely off.

"I just think, 'Come on, don't f***ing insult the Irish people any more.'  It's terrible.

"I really hope the Government is doing something about it now and listening to the people and finding a solution.  They f***ing better listen to the opposition."

Neeson, whose wife Natasha Richardson passed away after a skiing accident in 2009, will return to the big screen in the New Year as Agent Brian Mills in the third instalment in the Taken action series.

He had previously said he would not film another Taken film but was persuaded when writer Luc Besson came up with an original script, which Neeson describes as "a perfect continuation and one I couldn't say no to".

He said the role made up for the Oscar-nominated star missing out on playing James Bond to Pierce Brosnan.

Taken 3 hits Irish screens on January 8.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph