Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Liberia confirms second Ebola death in resurgent outbreak

Published 15/07/2015

A second person has died of Ebola in Liberia as the deadly disease resurfaces
A second person has died of Ebola in Liberia as the deadly disease resurfaces

Liberia's deputy health minister says that a second person has died from Ebola in the latest resurgence of the deadly disease.

Tolbert Nyenswah said the woman in her early 20s, who died on July 12, was linked to the 17-year-old boy who died last month.

Three other confirmed cases are being treated in Monrovia.

He said some of the more than 120 people under observation in Nedowein, south east of Monrovia, could be discharged once they complete 21 days of quarantine and show no signs of infection.

Liberia lost more than 4,800 lives to Ebola before it contained transmission in May. These are the first known cases since then. The World Health Organisation says the new cases are unlikely to be linked to travel.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting?

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph