The next phase of the seabed search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will focus on an area of the Indian Ocean hundreds miles south of the first suspected crash site, it has emerged.
Martin Dolan, chief commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, said an announcement would be made next week on where a 23,000 square-mile search of the ocean floor for wreckage will be focused.
Mr Dolan said he expected the most likely crash site would be hundreds of miles south of where acoustic signals suspected to have come from the Boeing 777's black boxes were thought to have emanated.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared with 239 passengers and crew on board after taking off from Kuala Lumpur, bound for Beijing, on March 8.
The first fruitless search, which ended last month, was defined by the suspected flight recorder signals, which had promised to be the best clue to finding the plane.