Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Malaysia says most of the debris found in the Maldives not from Flight MH370

Published 14/08/2015

Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai speaks at a press conference in Shah Alam. (AP)
Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai speaks at a press conference in Shah Alam. (AP)

Most of a set of debris found in the Maldives was not from a plane and is unrelated to the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, ministers have said.

Last week, Malaysia said a wing fragment found on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion was confirmed to be from MH370. The plane disappeared on March 8 last year with 239 people aboard while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Media reports in the Maldives said debris found in recent weeks was brought to authorities' attention following the discovery on Reunion.

But Malaysian transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said a team sent to the Maldives found that "most of the debris are negative. They are not related to MH370 and they are not plane material".

It is unclear if all the debris found in the Maldives has been examined.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph