Belfast Telegraph

Home News World

Mandela burial site legal battle

As Nelson Mandela remained in a critical condition in hospital on Friday, a family feud over where the 94-year-old former president should be buried went to the courts, according to South Africa's national broadcaster.

Mandela's oldest daughter, Makaziwe, and 15 other family members have pressed a court application to get Mr Mandela's grandson to return the bodies of three of his children to their original graves in the eastern rural village of Qunu, according to SABC.

The grandson, Mandla Mandela, acknowledges having reburied the three bodies 13 miles away in Mvezo village, where he plans to create a Mandela shrine, hotel and football stadium, according to the South African Press Association. He has until Saturday to respond to the court filing, reports said.

The anti-apartheid leader built his retirement home in Qunu and was living there until his repeated hospitalisations which started at the end of last year. Mr Mandela attended the burial of his son at the family plot in Qunu in 2005 and it was widely expected that the leader himself will be buried there.

But his grandson exhumed the bodies of Mr Mandela's three children and moved them to nearby Mvezo, which is the former president's birthplace and the grandson holds authority as chief. Eldest daughter Makaziwe and other Mandela family members want the family bodies returned to their original graves in Qunu, according to the reports.

The family court struggle came as Mr Mandela's ex-wife said that he had improved in recent days, but remained critical. Winnie Madikizela-Mandela gave the update on Friday while speaking to journalists outside Mandela's former home in Soweto.

"I'm not a doctor but I can say that from what he was a few days ago there is great improvement," said Ms Madikizela-Mandela, who is a member of South Africa's Parliament. She pleaded with the media to "understand the sensitivities and the feeling of the family".

His daughter Makaziwe Mandela was among the family members who arrived at the Pretoria hospital on Friday. The ministers of health and defence also visited, the South African Press Association reported.

Outside the Pretoria hospital on Friday, a man flying a drone-like object with a camera attached was led away by several policemen, adding to an already heightened atmosphere where well-wishers continue to gather to pray for Mr Mandela.

Mr Mandela was taken to the hospital on June 8 to be treated for what the government said was a recurring lung infection. South Africans have held prayers nationwide and many have left flowers and messages of support outside the hospital as well as his home in Johannesburg. On Thursday, the office of South African President Jacob Zuma said Mr Mandela's health had improved overnight, and that his condition was critical but stable.

Your Comments

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph