The New York City Marathon has been cancelled by Mayor Michael Bloomberg after mounting criticism that it would have been inappropriate while the US East Coast is still recovering from Superstorm Sandy.
With people in storm-ravaged areas still shivering without electricity and the death toll in New York City at more than 40, many New Yorkers recoiled at the prospect of police officers being assigned to protect a marathon on Sunday.
An estimated 40,000 runners from around the world had been expected to take part in the 26.2 mile event. The race had been scheduled to start in Staten Island, one of the areas hardest-hit by this week's storm.
"We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it," the mayor said in a statement.
"We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event - even one as meaningful as this - to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track."
Mr Bloomberg called the marathon an "integral part of New York City's life for 40 years" and "an event tens of thousands of New Yorkers participate in and millions more watch".
He maintained that holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, but said he understood the level of friction.
"It is clear it that it has become the source of controversy and division," Mr Bloomberg said. "The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination."
Meanwhile, authorities are struggling to get people left without power reconnected. More than 3.8 million homes and business in the east were still without power, down from a peak of 8.5 million.
Officials said power would return over the weekend to central Manhattan, where community groups began an effort to go door to door to check on older people and others who may not have been able to leave their homes for a fourth day because of pitch-black hallways and many flights of stairs.