MoD to name Afghan death soldiers
A British soldier killed by a rocket-propelled grenade in southern Afghanistan and another who died in hospital in the UK are due to be named by the Ministry of Defence.
One serviceman, from The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, was killed in an explosion in the Nad-e Ali District of Helmand on Sunday.
Another from the 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, died at Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, after he was injured in an explosion in the Nahr-e Saraj area of the province last month.
It has been a bloody year for British troops in Afghanistan, with 89 dying so far in 2010, bringing the total UK deaths since the start of operations in 2001 to 334.
Lieutenant Colonel James Carr-Smith, spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said: "It is with deep sorrow I must inform you that a soldier died of his wounds earlier today in Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham.
"He was from the 2nd Battalion, The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, serving as part of the 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles Battle Group, and had been seriously wounded in an explosion in southern Nahr-e Saraj on 24 August 2010.
"The soldier was part of a patrol that was preventing insurgents from disrupting the building of an important road that will allow local Afghans to travel more freely. His loss is a bitter blow but his bravery and selfless commitment to his men and the mission will never be forgotten. We will remember him."
Earlier he paid tribute to the soldier from The Royal Scots Borderers, who was serving as part of the Brigade Reconnaissance Force when he was killed by a blast.
He said: "The soldier, serving with the Brigade Reconnaissance Force, was part of an operation that was disrupting insurgents in northern Nad-e Ali when he was killed by a Rocket Propelled Grenade.
"Selfless in the course of his duty he will be missed by his many friends. He was an inspirational soldier. We will remember him."