Belfast Telegraph

UK Website Of The Year

Home News World

Muhammad Ali responds to Donald Trump's Muslim ban proposal

Published 10/12/2015

Donald Trump accepts his Muhammad Ali award from the boxing great in 2007 (AP)
Donald Trump accepts his Muhammad Ali award from the boxing great in 2007 (AP)
Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali has hit out at Donald Trump's proposal to ban all Muslims from entering the United States.

Mr Ali in his statement said there was there was "nothing Islamic about killing innocent people in Paris, San Bernardino, or anywhere else in the world".

He said: "We as Muslims have to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda.

"I am a Muslim and there is nothing Islamic about killing innocent people in Paris, San Bernardino, or anywhere else in the world.

"True Muslims know that the ruthless violence of so called Islamic jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion.

"I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people's views on what Islam really is."

The three-time world heavyweight champion, 73, is a cultural icon and one of the world's most famous Muslims.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg also expressed solidarity with Muslims in a Facebook post on Wednesday.

Read more

Donald Trump thanks 'respected columnist' Katie Hopkins

Bernie Sanders: Donald Trump's crap won't work in the United States of America  

"After the Paris attacks and hate this week, I can only imagine the fear Muslims feel that they will be persecuted for the actions of others," he wrote.

"As a Jew, my parents taught me that we must stand up against attacks on all communities. If you're a Muslim in this community, as the leader of Facebook I want you to know that you are always welcome here and that we will fight to protect your rights."

Mr Trump has the Republican party in turmoil over his call for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the US following last week's mass shooting by an Islamic militant couple that killed 14 people in San Bernardino, California.

Meanwhile he has now scrapped a planned trip to Israel saying he will reschedule "at a later date after I become President of the US".

Mr Trump tweeted that he is postponing the trip, which had become problematic for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Viewed as a Republican Party supporter, Mr Netanyahu's position became risky after Mr Trump called for keeping Muslims from entering the US and making controversial comments to a Jewish group.

Mr Trump told Fox News there were many reasons he decided to hold off on the trip, among them that he did not want to put Mr Netanyahu in a difficult position. "In fact, I did a campaign ad for him, and he's a good man, but I didn't want to put him under pressure," Mr Trump said.

"I also did it because I'm in the midst of a powerful campaign that's going very well," he added.

Mr Netanyahu's office had said on Wednesday that he rejects Mr Trump's comments about Muslims but planned to move forward with the meeting.

The Republican presidential candidate, who has maintained a wide lead in most early polling, sparked criticism among many American Jewish people last week after speaking to a gathering of Jewish donors.

He was booed after refusing to endorse Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel. The United States, like most of the international community, refuses to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and says the city's status must be resolved in negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.

Mr Trump also made remarks that some said promoted Jewish stereotypes. "I know why you're not going to support me: you're not going to support me because I don't want your money," Mr Trump said. "You want to control your own politician."

He also said: "I'm a negotiator, like you folks."

Online Editors

Read More

From Belfast Telegraph