Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 1 November 2014

Mumbai massacre gunman Kasab death sentence appeal

** EDS NOTE GRAPHIC CONTENT ** Luggage of passengers lie scattered on a blood splattered platform at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus railway station in Mumbai, India, Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2008. Police say several people have been wounded in a series of attacks by terrorist gunmen at seven sites in Mumbai, including two luxury hotels. A.N. Roy, a senior police officer, says police were battling the gunmen. (AP Photo)
Army soldiers take position outside the Taj Hotel, Mumbai's landmark hotel, after an terror attack in Mumbai on Wednesday night November 26, 2008. Teams of heavily armed gunmen stormed luxury hotels, a popular restaurant, hospitals and a crowded train station in coordinated attacks across India's financial capital Wednesday night, killing at least 78 people and taking Westerners hostage, police said. (AP Photo)
People seek cover at the front of a hotel in Mumbai, India in this image made from television, Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2008. Gunmen targeted luxury hotels, a popular tourist attraction and a crowded train station in at least seven attacks in India's financial capital Wednesday, wounding 25 people, police and witnesses said. A.N Roy police commissioner of Maharashtra state, of which Mumbai is the capital, said several people had been wounded in the attacks and police were battling the gunmen. "The terrorists have used automatic weapons and in some places grenades have been lobbed," said Roy. Gunmen opened fire on two of the city's best known Luxury hotels, the Taj Mahal and the Oberoi. They also attacked the crowded Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station in southern Mumbai and Leopold's restaurant, a Mumbai landmark. It was not immediately clear what the motive was for the attacks. (AP Photo/STAR NEWS) ** INDIA OUT TV OUT **

The only surviving gunman from the 2008 attack on India's financial centre of Mumbai is appealing against his death sentence, his lawyer said today.



Mohammed Ajmal Kasab was given multiple death sentences by a court, which convicted him of charges including murder, waging war against India, conspiracy and terrorism in May.

Amin Solkar, Kasab's lawyer, said Mumbai's High Court will start hearing Kasab's appeal on October 18.

If the high court confirms his death sentence, Kasab can still apply for clemency to the Indian government. Such motions often keep convicts on death row for years, even decades.

The attacks left 174 people dead, including nine gunmen.

India blames Pakistan-based militants for the attacks.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz