Munich shooting: Gunman Ali Sonboly had no links to Isis, inspired by far-right mass murderer Anders Breivik
- Gunman, who was born in Munich, not linked to Isis
- Sonboly 'obsessed with mass shootings'
- 'Obvious link' to Norway mass killer' Breivik
- Sonboly been in psychiatric care
- Nine people dead, twenty-seven injured. Ten critical
- Among the critically injured is a 13-year-old boy
- Seventeen people were slightly injured
Ali Sonboly, the 18-year-old gunman who killed at least nine people and injured 27 in Munich, had an 'obvious link' with far-right Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik, police said.
Born and raised in the German city, they said the 18-year-old acted alone when he went on a rampage at a shopping centre and fast-food restaurant on Friday.
Sonboly, 18, was described as having been "obsessed" with mass shootings. The attack took place on the day of the fifth anniversary of the lone wolf terrorist attacks by Breivik in which 77 people were killed in Norway.
It is thought he may have planned his attack to coincide with the anniversary.
"The link is obvious," Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae said at a press conference.
They also revealed he used a 9mm pistol and had 300 rounds of ammunition when he went on what they called a "classic shooting rampage".
Police said there were indications the gunman had been in psychiatric care and treated for depression.
They confirmed his room in the flat he was living in had been searched.
Police said 10 of those injured in the mass-shooting are currently in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy.
With parts of the crime scene now cleared and released - they said it was too soon to say as to when the Olympic shopping centre would re-open.
Officials said the attacker was not known to them and he had no criminal record.
Police investigator Robert Heimberger told a police press conference in Munich that it appeared the gunman had hacked a Gunman 'lured kids to McDonald's with free food Facebook ad'with an offer of free food.
The posting, sent from a young woman's account, urged people to come to the centre at 4 pm, saying: "I'll give you something if you want, but not too expensive."
Mr Heimberger said: "It appears it was prepared by the suspect and then sent out."
Police have appealed to witnesses who filmed the attack on mobile phones to pass the footage to them.
The force first received reports of shots being fired near the north Munich shopping centre at around 5.50pm local time on Friday evening.
The teenage gunman opened fire first in McDonald's on Hanauer Street before moving onto the Olympic centre.
Armed units flooded the area, with officers in plain clothes seen running through the shopping centre in search of the attacker.
His body was found in a side street nearby at around 9.30pm local time.
Officials said it appeared the gunman, who was a student, killed himself and said he did not have a firearms licence.
A neighbour on Dachauer Strasse that was searched by police on Saturday morning described the alleged gunman as "very quiet".
Wishing to only give his first name, Stephan, an owner of a coffee shop, said: "He only ever said 'hi'. His whole body language was of somebody who was very shy."
He added: "He never came into the cafe - he was just a neighbour and took out the trash but never talked."
'Deep and profound mourning'
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said her country is in "deep and profound mourning" after nine people were killed by a lone gunman on a rampage in Munich.
The 18-year-old attacker, named in reports as Ali Sonboly, went on a shooting spree at a shopping centre and a McDonald's restaurant in the Bavarian capital on Friday.
Born and raised in the German, city he murdered nine people and 27 injured others - 10 of them in a critical condition, including a 13-year-old boy.
At a press conference Mrs Merkel said the events are "difficult to bear for everyone" and pledged to "find out the background" of what happened.
She added: "What lies behind the people of Munich is a night of horror - we are still shocked by the pictures and reports of the witnesses.
"Nine people who were going shopping on the Friday evening, or wanted to eat something, they are now dead - it seems according to the investigations, hit and killed by the bullets of one single perpetrator."
The Chancellor said the operation between the agencies and security forces on Friday night was "seamless" and thanked them for their "phenomenal" effort.
She added: "We are in deep and profound mourning for those who will never return to their families. The families, siblings, friends to whom everything will be void and empty today.
"I would like to tell them, in the name of many, many people in Germany, we share in your grief, we think of you and we are suffering with you.
"Our thoughts also go out to the numerous injured people - may they recover quickly and completely - they will receive all the support they need.
"Such an evening and such a night are difficult to bear for every one of us. They are even more difficult to bear because we have had so many different and difficult reports of horrors in the past few days."
According to reports Turkish foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, has confirmed three Turks are among the dead - a Greek national is also reportedly a victim.
Police have said they expect the death toll to rise.
German daily newspaper Bild claimed that officers had raided a home in the city's Marxvorstadt district about 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) from the mall and were interviewing the suspect's father, however police have declined to confirm this, citing “ongoing police operations.”
Eyewitnesses say a man opened fire at a McDonald’s restaurant outside the Olympia shopping centre (OEZ) in the southern German city. The dead, so far unnamed, included adolescents. The injured - which number 16, three of them in critical condition - includes children.
Police initally received witness reports of multiple shooters carrying rifles shortly before 6pm local time. Six hours later they declared a “cautious all clear,” saying the suspect had been found dead about one kilometre from the scene, and he had likely acted alone.
Police said that two people who fled the scene were investigated but had "nothing to do with the incident".
Peter Beck, a Munich police spokesman, said officers were still collecting evidence at the scene of the crime Saturday morning.
“With regard to the suspect we have to examine everything, but we don't know yet what triggered the crime,” Mr Beck told The Associated Press.
Gunman 'lured kids to McDonald's with free food Facebook ad'
- Public figures offer condolences after shooting attack
Northern Ireland holidaymaker describes panic
A Northern Ireland holidaymaker was caught up in the chaos.
Jerome Burns, who is on holiday with his wife, was in a railway station when news of the shootings broke.
"We were buying train tickets when suddenly there was a massive alert," he told the BBC.
"People were running all over the place.
"We were all bundled out, down a back door into the bottom of the railway station, where we were kept for about half an hour.
"The station, at that stage, was closed - all the public transport was closed - and we were told to get back to our hotel as quickly as we could.
"We didn't really understand what was being said.
"It was really manic coming out of the station, police everywhere, stations absolutely evacuated, ambulances and lights all over the place."
Mr Burns said he and the other guests were "in a state of shock".
Independent News Service