Belfast Telegraph

Saturday 27 December 2014

Nairobi attack: Terrorists who killed at least 67 at shopping mall 'defeated' says Kenyan President

The terrorists who took control of a Nairobi mall and held off Kenyan security forces for four days have been defeated after killing at least 67 civilians and government troops, Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says.

Those killed include 61 civilians whose bodies have been recovered so far and six security forces, while nearly 200 were injured, including 62 who remain in hospital.

Three floors of the mall collapsed and several bodies were trapped in the rubble, said Mr Kenyatta. His office later said a terrorist's body was among those in the debris.

Five other attackers were killed by gunfire, he said.

"We have ashamed and defeated our attackers," he said in the televised address to the nation.

He said 11 other suspects had been arrested; authorities had previously announced the arrest of seven at the airport and three elsewhere.

"These cowards will need justice as well their accomplices and patrons, wherever they are," Mr Kenyatta said.

He declared three days of national mourning starting tomorrow.

Kenyan forces had for more than two days said they were in the "final phase" of the operation, only to be battled back by the militants inside the building.

Explosions rang from the upmarket Westgate mall in Nairobi throughout today, and the chatter of gunfire from inside the building could also be heard. Fresh smoke rose from the building in the afternoon.

The Kenyan Red Cross had previously said 62 people had been killed, and it seemed certain that the number of confirmed deaths would rise as security forces comb the building.

Nairobi's city morgue had already braced for the arrival of a large number of bodies of people killed, an official said.

Kenyan Red Cross spokesman Abbas Gullet said it was still not known how many more may be dead inside the building.

"It is certainly known that there are more casualties," he said.

A government official told The Associated Press that the morgue was preparing for up to an additional 60 bodies, though the official didn't know an exact count.

Earlier the al Qaida-linked attackers used social media to give accounts of the fighting inside the mall that conflicted with the government reports.

"There are countless number of dead bodies still scattered inside the mall, and the mujahideen are still holding their ground," the Somali rebel group al Shabab said earlier in the day in a Twitter message considered to be genuine.

It added that the hostages are "still alive looking quite disconcerted but, nevertheless, alive."

But there were no tweets from the al Shabab account immediately after Mr Kenyatta's address.

Al Shabab, whose name means "The Youth" in Arabic, said the mall attack was in retribution for Kenyan forces' 2011 push into neighbouring Somalia. African Union forces pushed the group out of Somalia's capital in 2011.

"You could have avoided all this and lived your lives with relative safety," the group Tweeted. "Remove your forces from our country and peace will come."

Mr Kenyatta said "initial reports had suggested that a British woman and two or three American citizens may have been involved in the attack," but that "we cannot confirm the details at the moment".

He said experts were working to try to determine the nationalities of the terrorists.

A security expert with contacts inside the mall described the attackers as "a multinational collection from all over the world."

Earlier, Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed had said "two or three Americans" and "one Brit" were among those who attacked the mall.

She said in an interview with the PBS "NewsHour" programme that the Americans were 18 to 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin and lived "in Minnesota and one other place" in the US. The attacker from Britain was a woman who has "done this many times before," she said.

US officials said they were looking into whether any Americans were involved.

Britain's foreign office said it was aware of the Kenyan foreign minister's remarks, but would not confirm if a British woman was involved.

Al Shabab, responding to a request from AP, denied that any women had attacked the mall.

"We have an adequate number of young men who fully committed and ready to sacrifice their lives for the sake of Allah and for the sake of their religion, so there is no need for us to employ our sisters in the battlefield and thereby expose them to unnecessary risk. So these are just baseless rumours that have no substance," said the al Shabab press office in what is thought to be an authentic email address.

The attack began on Saturday when some 12 to 15 militants invaded the mall, carrying grenades and firing on civilians inside the complex, which includes shops for Nike, Adidas and Bose and is popular with foreigners and wealthy Kenyans.

The militants specifically targeted non-Muslims, and at least 18 foreigners were among the dead, including six Britons, as well as citizens from France, Canada, the Netherlands, Australia, Peru, India, Ghana, South Africa and China. Nearly 200 people were wounded, including five Americans.

The attack was the deadliest terrorist attack in Kenya since the 1998 al Qaida truck bombing of the US Embassy in Nairobi, which killed more than 200 people.

COMMENT RULES: Comments that are judged to be defamatory, abusive or in bad taste are not acceptable and contributors who consistently fall below certain criteria will be permanently blacklisted. The moderator will not enter into debate with individual contributors and the moderator’s decision is final. It is Belfast Telegraph policy to close comments on court cases, tribunals and active legal investigations. We may also close comments on articles which are being targeted for abuse. Problems with commenting? customercare@belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Latest News

Latest Sport

Latest Showbiz